A summary of partnerships and events, new projects, technology development and policy initiatives that have taken place in the past three months as reported at NYCwireless board meetings.
Partnerships and Events
On October 1-2, NYCwireless participated in the World Summit on Free Information Infrastructure, where Dana Spiegel and Laura Forlano presented on a community wireless panel. As a result, NYCwireless is working with Ile Sans Fil to develop WiFiDog captive-portal software, OPLAN Foundation on a community broadband survey and Open Planet on community engagement programs for municipal broadband projects
On November 28 from 9-10AM, NYCwireless held a live videoconference event between Tompkins Square Park and a park in Stockport, England as part of their “Broadband in the Park Day” in order to raise awareness of the benefits of community wireless projects. Laura Forlano took questions from public officials and community members in Stockport.
NYCwireless has spoken with representatives from BCT Partners, Earthlink, One Economy, Dunn Development, Mt. Hope Housing Company, Tropos on potential partnerships for future projects.
NYCwireless is currently discussing plans for five new potential park projects with local businesses and community organizations.
NYCwireless is measuring the degree of interference its members are facing in their residential networks.
NYCwireless is rolling out its WiFiDog captive portal software among members, local businesses and community organizations. Members are invited to upgrade their access points to WiFiDog.
NYCwireless has held ongoing meetings with local government officials, business leaders and activists on the possibility of organizing a conference on municipal wireless issues.
NYCwireless issued a Network Neutrality Broadband Challenge to Internet Service providers asking them to make a public statement supporting the network neutrality principles.
On November 18, Laura Forlano represented NYCwireless at the second meeting of the Federal Communications Commission’s Consumer Advisory Committee. NYCwireless is serving on the Rural and Under-served Communities and Advanced Technologies working groups of this committee.
On December 7, Dana Spiegel briefed the New York City Council in preparation for the 12/12 hearing on legislation to create a Broadband Advisory Committee for NYC government.
On December 12, Laura Forlano testified before the New York City Council in support of legislation to create a Broadband Advisory Committee for NYC government, which as passed into law on 12/21.
- 1. New Projects Update
- NY Done Right Partnership
- October Meeting Location/Speaker
- World Summit for Free Information Infrastructure Participation and Presentation
- New Projects Update
- Wrote letter of support for “Media and Urban Life in North America: Montreal, New York City, Mexico City” project
- WiFi Dog Update
- Policy Update
- Met with Brooklyn Polytechnic WiCat? project about potential partnership
- Civitium Meeting Update
- New Board Member Update
- WiFiDog Update
- Open Community Network (OCN) Update
- Free Press Partnership
- World Summit for Free Information Infrastructure Participation
- Investors National Conference Application
- Discussed Transition to Wiki, Updated important Web pages
- Meetings in Washington, DC
- Dana will meet with Congressional officials on June 9
- FCC Consumer Advisory Committee
- Laura and Dana will represent NYCwireless at first meeting of committee on June 10
- Rob/Jacob working on this project
- CuWIN mesh
- Dana will test mesh nodes
- Discussion of New Board Member
- Next Meeting Speaker and Announcement
- Joe will recruit speaker and send out announcement
- Mailing list
- Discussed administration of mailing list
- Follow-up from last meeting
- Officers elected (Dana, President; Ben, Treasurer; Laura, Secretary)
- Adopted pr/messaging statements created at 3/16 session with pro-bono pr firm
- NYCwireless charter and budget needed for review (Ben)
- Update on Board
- Anthony’s resigns from Board of Directors and becomes member of Advisory Board
- Need to appoint new board member and create Advisory Board
- Update on City Council Hearing
- Rennaissance Integrated Solutions (Laura)
- Need to follow up with EDC re: BID funding initiative (Dana)
- Updates on New Projects
- Deployment Projects (Dana)
- Community Access Project (Dustin) 5/18 installation; 5/25 ribbon-cutting
- New Ideas
- Non-profit wireless outreach program (Rob) put together a package that we can use to build partnerships with other non-profits to sponsor public hotspots