Our pilot testing of the WifiDog federation is complete. WifiDog is a hotspot management software from Ile Sans Fil that runs on a standard Linksys WRT54G using open source firmware. With WifiDog, we can now have a federation of nodes that have access to a central server for:
- real-time monitoring of node status
- managed user authentication
- splash page and login page hosting
- web-based content management (though we haven’t quite figured it out yet!)
- traffic statistics for each node (user counts, total throughput, and traffic by time of day)
Our federation now looks like this: http://auth.nycwireless.net/hotspots_map.php
Our goal is to look like this: http://auth.ilesansfil.org/hotspots_map.php
We want YOU to upgrade to a WifiDog. If you run an NYCwireless hotspot, we want you to switch to a WifiDog unit. If you’re planning to put up a New York hotspot, we want you make WifiDog part of your setup.
For more info on flashing a Linksys so it can run WifiDog, please see:
But wait! We’ll trade you! If you bring us a brand new plain jane Linksys WRT54G or GS, we’ll give you back a preconfigured Linksys WifiDog.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you! Congratulations to all who have contributed so far, and to future members and users!